PDA

View Full Version : flea & tick season

Cheech
04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi, Now that flea an tick season is upon us here in NJ anyway, what measures do you take to prevent them from invading your pyrs beautiful hair?I have always used front-line on my dogs and cats, but this is the first time I have ever owned a dog with so much hair. Would front-line and a flea collar do the trick plus combing her everyday? Your input would be appreciated Thanks in advance :)

fluffylove
04-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Our vet, (breeder and rescue as well) suggests Advantage topical for fleas. Our boy got it last year (we aren't far from you) and the advantage got rid of it in one try. I baithed him, brushed him, but the advantage gets rid of all of them. If you know there are many around good to use as prevention. I have it around in case I spot them. We are in the city, so only if we run through bushes do I give it to him.

Cheech
04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi FluffyLove, I wish it were that easy, but I live in the country part of new jersey, with plenty of animals, so I think she has to be protected 24/7 :)

Klondike202
04-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Hello Members:

I live in New York and fleas and Ticks arent such a big problem because I live in the city. :) I recently bought a Frontline flea and Tick collar. Is that enough or should I have further protection? If I should have further protection, does anyone have any reccomendations? :confused:

Samsmom
04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi, Now that flea an tick season is upon us here in NJ anyway, what measures do you take to prevent them from invading your pyrs beautiful hair?I have always used front-line on my dogs and cats, but this is the first time I have ever owned a dog with so much hair. Would front-line and a flea collar do the trick plus combing her everyday? Your input would be appreciated Thanks in advance :)

Hey Guys,
Although Sam is my first Pyr, I have always had extremely furry dogs. I now live in Ohio but used to live in Florida where tick and flea season is about all year round. I use K9 Advantix or Advantix Plus on my dogs. It repels and kills ticks, fleas and mosquitoes and repels biting flies. I think it is the only one that does the mosquitos and flies. It worked great on my Alaskan Malamutes and other dogs. And my dogs, even little Sam get wet alot. I think it works great and we already here in Ohio have the ticks out. I got one off me yesterday but checked Sam and he is good. I wish they would make that stuff for people. :) That is all I use and it works for us you might talk to your vet about it too. Have a Happy Easter to all that celebrate it.
Chris

Cheech
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey Guys,
Although Sam is my first Pyr, I have always had extremely furry dogs. I now live in Ohio but used to live in Florida where tick and flea season is about all year round. I use K9 Advantix or Advantix Plus on my dogs. It repels and kills ticks, fleas and mosquitoes and repels biting flies. I think it is the only one that does the mosquitos and flies. It worked great on my Alaskan Malamutes and other dogs. And my dogs, even little Sam get wet alot. I think it works great and we already here in Ohio have the ticks out. I got one off me yesterday but checked Sam and he is good. I wish they would make that stuff for people. :) That is all I use and it works for us you might talk to your vet about it too. Have a Happy Easter to all that celebrate it.
Chris
Thanks Samsmom, I have never tried Advantix, but your not the first person I have heard rave about it, alot of people say its better than frontline. I am going to have to get some, Thanks Again :)

Klondike202
04-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Hello Members:

I live in New York and fleas and Ticks arent such a big problem because I live in the city. :) I recently bought a Frontline flea and Tick collar. Is that enough or should I have further protection? If I should have further protection, does anyone have any reccomendations? :confused:

Jewel
04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Klondike,

In my experience, flea collars do not work well for a pyr because of the density of their coat. The effectiveness is limited to the neck and shoulder areas; the fleas can live happily in the back half of the dog! Also, the flea collar I used left an ugly yellow ring around my dog's neck.

The Advantix and Frontline do work pretty well, and like the others have already said, if you don't want to use those products monthly, you can just save them for when you have an infestation. If you only find an oocasional flea here and there and Klondike is not allergic to them, baths would take care of those odd few fleas. There are also a lot of information on the net on herbal flea repellents. I've never used them so I don't know how well they work.

In Texas we do get pretty bad flea problems. Starting last year I started giving my dogs garlic and vitamin B daily. All I saw was occasional one or maybe two fleas during baths (I didn't see fleas in every bath). I am continuing with the same routine this year so we will see what happens. If it doesn't work this year, I will go to Advantix or Frontline.

LilMissMegan925
04-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey Klondike,

In Texas we do get pretty bad flea problems. Starting last year I started giving my dogs garlic and vitamin B daily. All I saw was occasional one or maybe two fleas during baths (I didn't see fleas in every bath). I am continuing with the same routine this year so we will see what happens. If it doesn't work this year, I will go to Advantix or Frontline.

Really vitamin B? How do you give it to them?

Jewel
04-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey LilMissMeagan, I rotate between vitamin B capsules (I use capsules because I open them up and dump the powder into their food) and nutritional yeast. Since pyrs are large, they can take the full human dosage, though I do buy the lower dosage ones. Luckily my dogs will eat anything so I don't have issues with them eating around the supplements I put in their food :)

Buckeye5
05-19-2009, 05:29 AM
We are on our 3rd GP and we have always had great results from Frontline-Plus. You put it on your dog every 30 days. There are different doses. It depends on weight of dog. Hope this helps ! :cool:

jeanine
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
i've always used frontline plus too, but now i am intersted in this advanix.

is it as avalible as fronline or is there someplace speacil you get it? i usally get my frontline on ebay so i will go try to find it. what cost does it usally run so i'll know if i find it on ebay. and if it really soes repel misquitoes, we have plenty!!

thanks!!

Samsmom
05-22-2009, 03:31 AM
i've always used frontline plus too, but now i am intersted in this advanix.

is it as avalible as fronline or is there someplace speacil you get it? i usally get my frontline on ebay so i will go try to find it. what cost does it usally run so i'll know if i find it on ebay. and if it really soes repel misquitoes, we have plenty!!

thanks!!

I use the Advantix and have for years. Both on my Mali and now on my Pyr. I get it for the Vets but you can get it from Dr. Fosters and Smith online. It is only one that I know of that repels the mosquitos. Good luck to you.

Chris

jeanine
05-25-2009, 02:58 PM
thank you samsmom!! we have misquitoes bad, and this year has been really really bad because of all the rain.

time to get more so tick stuff so i'm gonna try the advanix. thanks again!

jeanine
05-25-2009, 03:02 PM
hey is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/K9-Advantix-Blue-4-pack-Over-55lbs_W0QQitemZ300317718146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item45ec54b682&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Samsmom
05-26-2009, 03:08 AM
hey is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/K9-Advantix-Blue-4-pack-Over-55lbs_W0QQitemZ300317718146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item45ec54b682&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Yes that is it. :)

Chris

Kate53
06-04-2009, 06:52 AM
I used to have great results with Frontline Plus but here in Florida, the fleas can get pretty bad this time of year and I've found a few "live" ones on the princess. That makes me nuts so I've recently started alternating treatments, using K-9 Advantix during the summer months and Frontline for the cooler months. It seems to be working so far. I think the fleas are building up a resistance to all these different insecticides now. There is also a new product (available only at veternarians) called Premaris, from Fort Dodge that is yet another topical monthly flea killing compound. Recently they have come out with a new oral monthly called Comfortis...but I am hesitant to give my Pyr an ingested treatments other than heartworm. I believe the Comfortis is used to treat already infested dogs and habitats but is also used as a preventative. Good luck....

dominoe#1
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Just incase you have cats, please don't use Advantix...it's lethal to cats! While it does work really well(I am a former user for our dogs) but now that we have cats, we made the switch to frontline...works just as well for us at least. I have never tried advantage for our dogs, but my cat(who has flee allergies) is on advantage for cats and it works well for him.

BUT PLEASE don't use Advantix if you have cats..even if the dogs and cats aren't really around each other...just the simple act of you petting the dog and then petting your cat can spread the advantix to your cat. While the Advantix sites says its ok...don't buy that...my vet has had an alarming amount of cats come through who were poisoned and/or killed by Advantix.....

Kate53
06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for that tidbit, Domino...never knew that about K-9Advantix! Fortunately, I do not have any cats so I guess I'm safe but my neighbor is using it and she has cats so I will be sure to pass it along. Love being able to garner information from these forums!

Andrea
07-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Hello,
I am a new member and also a first dog owner. I use Frontline Plus on my dog and so far it seems to work really good, even so I see fleas crawling around on her every now and then but I didn't get bit yet. And believe me, they can get me good.
I used Advantix on my cats but was a total waist and I switched to Frontline.
Has anybody heart something about that new stuff called Revolution? It's suppost to protect against fleas and heartworms.

Andrea

ragingbull83
07-04-2009, 06:47 AM
We are on our 3rd GP and we have always had great results from Frontline-Plus. You put it on your dog every 30 days. There are different doses. It depends on weight of dog. Hope this helps ! :cool:

Thanks ill try that too my construction site is in a wooded area my Pyr has brought a few ticks into the Rv I check him though every time we go for a walk ticks are one thing the world can live without

Kate53
07-04-2009, 06:49 AM
My neighbor uses Revolution exclusively for her dog. She hasn't had a flea or heartworm problem yet and we live in Florida...flea capital of the world! She also has a smaller, shorter coated dog so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm a bit concerned about giving anything oral with the exception of the heartworm preventative. The idea of my dog ingesting "poison" to kill fleas bugs me a little bit. I know they have a new oral treatment called "Comfortis" that is used to target what my vet calls "hitch hiker" fleas but it does not kill the eggs or larvae, only active adults. Then there is the other new topical called "Premaris" that works basically the same as Frontline and K9 Advantix. I usually switch to K9 Advantix during the hot summer months (4 months) for the added advantage of repelling mosquitos and ticks. I go back to Frontline Plus the rest of the year (8 months). I have seen a few live fleas on my dog with Frontline but my vet explained that these few are in the "hyper" state from biting the treatment/host and are in the process of dying. Still freaks me out to see fleas, alive or dead! Hate the little buggers!

Andrea
07-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Kate,
a few weeks ago I got a revolution sample for my cat from the vet and it came in a little tube like frontline or advantix does. I put it on my cat's neck and so far it seemed to work ok.
These alive fleas on my dog freak me out too and I literally go on a flea hunt :)
Where do you get your K9 Advantix from?
Andrea

Kate53
07-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Geeze Andrea, I must be not paying attention because for some reason I thought Revolution was an oral thing....but I don't use it so what can I say? I buy the K9 Advantix and Frontline Plus through a website as the vets are way too expensive. The last time I bought K9 from my vet it was $62 for 3 tubes!!! You can get a 4-pack of K9 online for under $50 if you shop around. Just type in K9 Advantix in your search engine and compare. I usually buy my Frontline when Queenie is in for her yearly...along with the Heartguard. I might even start shopping online for those as well. These vets need to take all this into consideration when doing the yearly check-ups. They always do a 4-way blood screening for Queenie before allowing me to purchase the Heartguard but I can always ask for the prescription and buy it elsewhere, right?.

PyrDad
11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
When I rescued our Cheval, it was thought he might have Carcoptic mange. With that the vet put us on the Revolution, it's supposed to kill the mites too. With that in mind I also put him on good corn free food, in just in case he had the popular allergy. Between the two I have to brush and vaccum alot now...lol.

Amatrine
04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Something cheap and easy. Get some Borax and put in on your grass, your carpets. Let it sit. On the carpet, leave it a few hours then suck it up.

On the grass just leave it. Ten days later repeat to get hatched eggs. Stuff works great.

I had a foster that brought flees here, and this stuff abolished them. 3 bucks a box.

Tsunibear
04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Borax is amazing. It will kill the fleas in the house and yard with no problem. My problem is I have Koi ponds in the backyard and you don't want to get anything in the ponds so we don't get to treat our backyard.

My shar-pei is allergic to Frontline so I have to use Advantix on my dogs. It is killing the fleas that bite but with Missy I have to re-treat her every 3 weeks to keep it working. Monty can last 5 weeks cause of his coat.

Davey Benson
04-14-2010, 05:09 AM
wow, this thread has been around for a while. :p

I use frontline plus.
It seems to work really well for me.

I've tried biospot. It's awful, made my dogs break out in hives.

I've not heard of borax for fleas, I do know it works well for ants.

I've afraid the quantity of the product I would have to buy to cover my dogs territory would be..... uhm..... cost prohibitive. :D

Kate53
04-14-2010, 06:15 AM
wow, this thread has been around for a while. :p

I use frontline plus.
It seems to work really well for me.

I've tried biospot. It's awful, made my dogs break out in hives.

I've not heard of borax for fleas, I do know it works well for ants.

I've afraid the quantity of the product I would have to buy to cover my dogs territory would be..... uhm..... cost prohibitive. :D

I use Frontline plus most of the year but if the fleas get bad here in FL (which they always due during the summer months), I switch to K9Adantix. The problem is, Queenie seems to be very "itchy" after I use the Advantix....maybe she has an allergy to it? I haven't heard anything about the new Fort Dodge product called Premaris....anyone out there tried it yet?

Autumn & Jax
04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
There are also oral medicines like the heartworm ones that are effective for fleas. My grandma uses one for her dog called comfortis. It seems to work well for her dog, she lives in Louisiana.

TexasKat
04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
My 2 are on Comfortis and so far, so good. My vet cautioned that unlike topical treatments, Comfortis does not kill ticks, so if you are in a tick-prone area, best to use something else.

Jewel
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM
In 2008 I used totally natural flea prevention on Bro and he did pretty well. I found an odd flea or two a couple of times when I gave him a bath and that was all. I gave him raw chopped garlic and vitamin B everyday.

Last year in '09, I tried the same thing with both Bro and Bijou. It didn't work for Bijou. I would point out though Bijou was not in great shape last year after months of fighting colitis. She was underweight and just not overall very healthy. I had to put both of them on Frontline as Bijou developed flea allergies. To my surprise, Frontline didn't work very well either. Bijou was getting fleas within 3 weeks of application. Has anyone else noticed any decreased effectiveness with Frontline?

I have not used anything on the dogs this year yet. I've started back with the garlic & vitamin B to see if it will work. Bijou is in much better shape now, much healthier. I would like to stay away from chemical flea preventive if I can. We'll see.

Tsunibear
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
None of them work they way they use to. Missy has flea allergies and advantix and frontline both stop working at 3 weeks for her. I can't have fleas on her or she loses her hair and I just found a product that helps re-grow her hair faster. I might put her on some garlic and vitamin B as well as doing the advantix and see if that helps.

Autumn & Jax
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I have read that garlic is bad for dogs and I have read that it can benificial like I have read on here. Any ideas on which is true? Obviously it isn't hurting Jewel's dogs. I have also read putting a couple teaspoons of vinegar in your dog's water can deter the fleas and ticks.

Jewel
04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Garlic in large quantities can cause blood disorder, there are properties in garlic that will destory blood cells and cause anemia. The quantity one would feed to a dog for flea prevention is nothing near the quantity that would cause the anemia issues.

I stopped giving my dogs garlic last fall because for some reason both dogs were itchy and I couldn't figure what was causing the itch. They didn't have fleas by then, so it wasn't flea allergies, I think. I was giving them fish oil supplements, vitamin E, garlic and vitamin B. I stopped giving them any supplements, and then as the weather got cooler, I stopped the Advantix as well. They stopped itching. Still don't know what the cause was.

erikavonb
05-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Garlic in large quantities can cause blood disorder, there are properties in garlic that will destory blood cells and cause anemia. The quantity one would feed to a dog for flea prevention is nothing near the quantity that would cause the anemia issues.

I stopped giving my dogs garlic last fall because for some reason both dogs were itchy and I couldn't figure what was causing the itch. They didn't have fleas by then, so it wasn't flea allergies, I think. I was giving them fish oil supplements, vitamin E, garlic and vitamin B. I stopped giving them any supplements, and then as the weather got cooler, I stopped the Advantix as well. They stopped itching. Still don't know what the cause was.

I would like to try garlic with my dogs, but I'm not sure how much to use...Can I just grate a clove over their food?