PDA

View Full Version : Stoooooooooop

Pyr Pressure
03-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Looking for advice for a walking a pyr on a leash. 1.5 year old male (pound pup). Does great on leash on outbound leg (very little pulling).

But once we turn for home (and get about 2 blocks away) his pace slows considerably - and then he just stops.

Near as I can tell - he's just not ready for the walk to end.
Walk is usually 40min or more - a decent jaunt twice a day.

Tried playing in the yard at end of walk (give him something to look forward to) - doesn't seem to help.

any ideas?

risestar
03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Sounds normal, like a kid that gets bummed out on a trip once you head for home.

Invest in a pinch collar from your local pet store and you can get that in check.

jmanz6
03-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Leo loves to go for walks. Even without his brother he has no trouble coming home. Now getting him to come inside when he isn't ready is a problem.

Klondike202
04-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Have you taught him the "come" command yet. My Great Pyrenees used to do the same thing. She would stop in the middle of the sidewalk right when we get close to home. I started to teach her the come command and now it isnt a problem. If you are really in a hurry, try luring her into the house with treats. Maybe she'll figure that if she comes into the house she gets a treat. If you choose to lure her change up the way you treat her. Maybe one day it could be an actual treat, another day lots of love, and another day a new toy. But with the luring is that you have to start with REAL treats first. Only until you see she is coming in to the house better, and then you can switch it up.

Hope I helped... :)

Taylor

Jewel
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
We once met a lady with a 4 month-old pyr pup at the dog park, and she told us that to get her pup to come, she always had to "throw a party" ;) It took us years to get our first pyr to come in the house when called. She simply didn't see the point of coming in if she was fine outside...

2ndPyr
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
My problem has been the opposite. On the outbound, if there is lots of activity around, he will sometimes make me practically drag him. Coming back if there has been something that has startled him, I can barely walk fast enough................and by the time we're done, my arm feels like it wants to fall off!
Well I did something that I learned in a book a long time ago and it works well.

We have a pinch collar by the way, I like the way it releases as soon as I let up on it.

So anyway, I'll walk forward with him beside me, and I'll turn and say "Come!" he's not allowed to pull ahead, without warning I'll stop, turn, and again say "Come!" (you can walk a couple steps or several).
It takes him a couple of times, but he catches on.

So in your case, when you turn and go outbound again, he's going to come willingly, but when you do your turn, he's going to resist, all I had to do was say the command, give a jerk of the leash, and Sabby was on his toes obeying, head up, tail up even.

I think it lets them know that the walk begins and ends when you say it begins and ends.

Another idea I have
We use a retractable leash because we're truck drivers and while 'on the road' he needs more freedom to roam. Well I've grown to love this leash even at home. As long as he's walking well with me, we take a couple play breaks in between, and do something he really enjoys, like wading in the pond (he wades I don't, LOL) or romping through an open field. Maybe that would wear him out some more.

Good luck, hope you find a solution

Kristta
05-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Our Pyr used to do the same thing. Obviously the walk wasnt long enough for him so he would just stop in front of the gate and wouldnt move. I got rid of the habbit by simply pushing him the right direction and nicely talking to him. He just kind of walked into the gate, got a treat and now I dont have a problems anymore.

ragingbull83
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Mine Pyr did the same thing when he didnt want to do something its a power thing with them they know that they are big and heavy and by sitting down they think theres not much you can do about it.

Ive been in the Construction business my whole life so to cure the problem I started picking my Pyr up and Carrying him to the door after one time of that he doesnt pull the sit down trick on me anymore.

dominoe#1
05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I have laughed so hard at everyone's responses! My pure breed pyr hates to go on walks...so we don't even attempt it any more(unless it's going to be very short-15 mins short). After speaking with a breeder and a little research...I came across information about Pyr's not really being the kind of dogs to take on walks...they are suited to roam in the back yard and run around fields...but not really to take on walks...

I will also add that at times I have to act like coming back in the house is the best thing since slice bread to get mine inside again....i noticed several others commenting on this same problem...lol

jeanine
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
we have 10 arcres so we don't do walks. we play "musical dogs" everyday. i have 2 males, and the younger one refuses to "come 2end" and they will try to kill each other every chance they get. so i have to put the older male into the washroom, let the younger male in and tell him to go to his room and then shut the door, and then let older male out to potty.

to switch again, we have to bring older male to the front door, and then let younger male out the back with 2 or 3 bones and let the older male all at the same time.

and if younger male doesn't want to go out...i have to help by shoving him out the door.

never had a prob with coming in....its going out!!!

try that for a good laugh!!

Kristta
05-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Oh I dont have a problem getting our pyr on the garden. Its other way around. He kinda walk about 12 feets towards the door when he is called, then he just stop and stare...He seems to like convincing that he needs to come inside..Always waits for you to close the door and leave the room and then he moves to the door and starts knocking that he decided to come in as you wanted. Of course only when his "best friend" Mr Aircon is on.

jeanine
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
haha the "you really don;t want me to spend all that energy to come in DO YOU?" look. gotten that before...actually almost every time in the winter. mine will only run in if its raining(he HATES the rain!) and if the ac's one.