PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaner recomendations

Pnutdapyr
01-29-2009, 07:09 AM
I searched for a vacuum specific thread but found there isnt any, 1 reference to a dyson dc 14 and thats about it. I thought this site needs one given that our dogs shed so much it would be helpfull to know what the pros and cons are of your vacuum.

First off, I have a 2-1/2 yr old male named peanut that is currently starting his coat blow. Anyway, I have owned a low level ($80) Kenmore bagless vacuum for the last 5 years without a hitch and is still going pretty strong. It has seen regular use and heavy use during times off heavy shedding. IĎve clogged the hose quite a few times but there are only 6 screws holding the vacuum together so its pretty easy to take apart and get unclogged, also the brush head loads up with fur really fast but thatís easily handled with a scissors. Overall this vacuum was never really great at picking up the small stuff and I feel did a mediocre job at best at cleaning my floors, but as a broke college student it was very friendly to my wallet and has lasted for a very long time considering itís a plastic cheapie. I would recommend a Kenmore brand vacuum to anyone based on how long this one has lasted. So what do you have or had that you would warn people of and what would you recommend?

vin63
01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
There was a shedding thread that I posted my vacuum cleaners type and model. My oldest 16 amp Hoover Runabout finally gave up a couple of weekends ago, but it was 15 years old - those old 16 amp Hoovers were the best. I purchased a 12 amp Hoover Windtunnel (it was on sale for 40% off) to replace it. It seems to work really well. I have to empty the canister a little more frequently, but then I'm not spending money on Type A allergen bags. I have to keep the roller brush clean, so each time I empty the canister, I pull the hair off of the brush. Our other Hoover Runabout is still used to vacuum the bedrooms.

jim.myers
01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
When we bought the new house we had a BSD. They only come in black so the area rugs had a lot of black in them. Well he died so we get a Pyr. A Pyr. with black carpet just don't work that well. We bought a Bissel Pet Vac for $150.00 from Target. It works fantastic I recommend it highly.
Jim

Pnutdapyr
01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
When we bought the new house we had a BSD. They only come in black so the area rugs had a lot of black in them. Well he died so we get a Pyr. A Pyr. with black carpet just don't work that well. We bought a Bissel Pet Vac for $150.00 from Target. It works fantastic I recommend it highly.
Jim
Are you talking about the one with the front mount lint brush? I looked at one and figured it would be completely useless within the first 2 feet. :)

jim.myers
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
The one I am referring to has a flat bar across the front that folds up and down when not in use. It also has a power brush that mounts on the hose to use on the furniture. We have (my wife) used this vac for a year with no problems. Of course you know if you buy it and it falls apart it's my fault. You know like watch my dog roll over.

Jim

Pnutdapyr
01-29-2009, 02:05 PM
The one I am referring to has a flat bar across the front that folds up and down when not in use. It also has a power brush that mounts on the hose to use on the furniture. We have (my wife) used this vac for a year with no problems. Of course you know if you buy it and it falls apart it's my fault. You know like watch my dog roll over.

Jim
this one? http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-3920-Dual-Cyclonic-Upright-Cleaner/dp/B000VDQ38E

jim.myers
01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Yep that's it.

Jim

fluffylove
01-30-2009, 07:14 AM
We've done all sorts of vaccumes. Four now. WE finally saved up and got a Dyson. I would not get anything else. It's SO worth it. We had bissels, shark, dirt devil, and a few others but they all broke down. The dyson has a lifetime warrantee on the band which kept breaking on our others. Its a really good vaccume. It even cleaned the air adn left the house smelling amazing!!!

ragingbull83
01-30-2009, 05:02 PM
I was using my shop Vac lol im with Fluffy going to have to get the Dyson :)