PDA

View Full Version : Who Eats First at Your House?

vin63
12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
In grammar school, for social studies, we had to research and write a report about other cultures (past or present). I found it very interesting as an 8-year old kid and dove into the assignment. I did my report on northern/Arctic cultures, in particular the Samoyeds. I had read that some of the tribes so revered their dogs, that the dogs ate first as part of their respect for the animals that their lives depended upon. Anyway, after reading about that, I have always fed my dogs before I ate. I never thought about that 40 some-odd-year routine of mine until one of our friends' kids asked why I fed the dogs before we served dinner the other night. Anyway, I was curious to see if anyone else, either out of schedule or convenience, fed their dogs first, too.

fluffylove
12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I"ve hear things like 'feed your dog once you are done to remain dominant' It's frankly not a big deal and will not make you appear such in your dogs eyes. Do what you want, my dog being so very picky and never begging, it's easy, he eats when he's hungry. Often not eating for a day or two.

My parent's rottie would eat with them sometimes, well with him waiting until the diner prayer was said and at 'amen' she would eat. Did it on her own which was funny. Whatever is most best for you and your dogs.
My two cents.

ragingbull83
12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I feed my Pyr first like Fluffy said they dont Beg and are very good dogs. Hes my best friend and I think they he respects me more that i take care of him like that considering the last owner abused the poor guy.

midwestgirl
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm with FL, I feed my boy in the morning before I eat. But that's part of our farm chores, I don't think he could see it as a dominance issue? Then late in the afternoon I feed him a smaller meal and combine that with little treats in our training session. He's ready to play after that!

fluffylove
12-19-2008, 07:04 PM
it's really got nothing to do with dominance. Ignoring a dog's demands for pats, play, food etc is a first step in dominance and respect. Eating before him? Nah. Dominance is more complex than rolling a dog over (which i hate) or eating first. Don't worry about it, just enjoy and do what makes you happy. Just be glad yours eats regularily and not at 2am like mine at times. I'm not staying up that late LOL

Rebelmom
01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey I thought my dog was the only one who ate at 2 a.m.!!!! Living in a 24 hour town like Las Vegas I just assumed he thought it was the correct thing to do!!

TCGram
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I got my 1st great pyr 4 months ago and have taught to eat when she is hungry. We keep food in the bowl 24/7, but keep track of how much she eats.

We did the same with my last dog (Great American MUTT :p ) and she would bring mouthfuls of food into the dining rood and eat with us!

fluffylove
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
PYrs are spazes when it comes to food. I have a new pup at home, she dropped raw meat into the water bowl, continued drinking and left it.
My male spits out chicken, beef, very picky eating. Yes we play the starving game. Doens't work. 2am, yeah. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Anyone else have a pyr that bangs their heads against the wall out of happiness after eating?

Histrblmkr
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Around here it is a ritual to feed animals first in the morning. As soon as I walk into the kitchen the cats are whining as well as our little dog (Rat Terrier). I fill their bowls then go downstairs to let the two Great Pyrenees out of the basement to the back porch and feed them. While they are all eating I go out to the barn and open up the doors so the chickens can come out and fill their food dishes, then go on to throw the horses some hay and give grain and hay to the goats. When that is complete I come in for my cup of coffee and oatmeal.
We then feed the outside dogs and livestock again late in the afternoon, after eggs are collected.
Then we eat dinner inside. So yes it seems the animals are a priority when it comes to feeding.
Linda :p