PDA

View Full Version : Guardian??

Chillin
07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
We adopted a 2yr old? Male from the local animal shelter. 1st let me say he is VERY sweet and acts like a lapdog most of the time. we've had Chewy and our baby chickens both for about a month. The chicken coop is inside our dog kennel and yard. We have walked around the corner before and the chicks had slip out of the coop and we're literally walking all around him and some of them actually ON him, and he just lies there.....everything was going good.......until yesterday....We come home and 8 of them are dead. We are not really sure if HE got into the coop or if the chicks escaped into the kennel. To my question....Isn't it the nature of a Pyr to guard his Flock? Did we do something wrong possibly in the socializing him dept.? He didn't EAT any of them and they weren't torn up. My theory is he maybe was playing with them or trying to corral them and just crushed them by accident. He uses his paws quite extensively to get our attention and push doors open etc.
My apologies for the disjointed nature of this thread... 1st time newbie here...
thanks in advance for any advice you guys and gals give me.

mmwils
07-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I am sure he was probably playing with them and just didn't know his own strength. Pyr's are notorious for their gentleness. They are just so large...
My pyr is not a working dog, so I have never had the experience, but I have heard that you have to train them on what is okay to do and not with your other animals. I am sure if you give him guidlines he will be a great guardian.
Good Luck!

fluffylove
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
He may very well have been playing or chasing them as mmwills said. You must supervise your dog for several weeks with the chicks. Keep them apart when you are not there, and when you are, you must correct any attempts to chase or play. there are great books out there of training LGD's, get one and go through it, of find someone that has one working with them. Mine babysits my neices hamster, he even tries to play with it via a play bow, but that's it.
Good luck! Submit some pics!

risestar
07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Pyr's don't always do well with fowl, usually when they do its because they were socialized with them as really young pups. 2 years old is fairly old to stick them together unsupervised, especially not knowing the complete history of the dog. Baby steps would be the best option, slowly introduce them for short periods, always supervised and gradually increase the duration.

Chillin
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks people.
Update: the 2 chickens that survived are doing well, living in the same setup as before and they have escaped into the yard several times since then and he hasn't hurt them or chased them in any way. Of course he did run away for 5 days last week.... he was about eight miles from our house and had been spotted earlier in that same day over 6 miles from where we recaptured him. So he has about a million burs on him and then he slept on my wife paint pallet and is sorta tie - tyed on the side of his face. So we might have to wait on those pics fluffylove. At least he is easy to spot if he runs again. Just look for the polar bear with the purple collar and the blue face! :eek:

Chillin
08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Pyr's don't always do well with fowl, usually when they do its because they were socialized with them as really young pups. 2 years old is fairly old to stick them together unsupervised, especially not knowing the complete history of the dog. Baby steps would be the best option, slowly introduce them for short periods, always supervised and gradually increase the duration.
Yeah I figured it might be a little late to socialize him to the birds but he did so well for a while and has done good since. Who knows what happened in the minds of 10 birds and 1 big dog on that fateful day in July?