PDA

View Full Version : Digging in waterbowl!

Alexis1905
05-12-2008, 11:59 AM
My 9 month old Pyr has been digging in her water bowl for months now and I can't get her to stop!

I fill up her water bowl and not long after, she will start digging in it and splashing the water all over the place.. does anyone else experience this??

fluffylove
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm sure I"m not the only one. Mine doesn't do it, but once in a while my breeder has ones thatdig and spill all the water. I could train them not to do it, but that's another story. Keep the water outside, is this possible? Don't give her water unless she is thirsty...the dog that does it at my breeder is a female as well, she never did it when she stayed with me, but as she got older and got away with stuff she will spill it all over the place...seems females do it more from my end. My dog only tries to bury his food under the kitchen tiles when he's not hungry so I dont' feed him then.

phoenixgirl
05-30-2008, 05:56 AM
We have a 16 week old pyr, Phoenix and she drives me crazy :mad: when she does this. She will drink and then.....the kitchen floor becomes her own personal slip and slide!!!!! she goes nuts running around the house and then back to the kitchen only to do it again. She will do this several times a day. She loves the water, she will get going so hard that she slams into the fridge and couboards only to get more excited....she is soaking and my floor is nice and clean...I just need to dry everything!...all kidding aside, this does drive me crazy, we have taken to putting her water bowl on the counter after she has had a drink, she will bark at the counter to let us now she wants a drink. We hope she will grow out of this . Has anyone got any more suggestions to deal with this digging in her water bowl thing? :D

Alexis1905
05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
She only gets water outside now and has for months. It didn't take me long to learn that giving her water inside was going to be a thing of the past. :) It's just so annoying and she does it at other people's houses too. :(

kcoruol
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Try putting lots of ice in the water. . . Then you will see what water problems are! If I put ice in the water bowl my youngest pyr likes to play submarine in his water bowl. He'll stick his snout into the water bowl and have fun blowing bubbles, then he'll try to grab up as many pieces of ice as possible running through the house dropping them or until they have melted, all over himself and the floor.

Hollowdweller
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I have an old one that will flip any bowl basket or box over just to watch the contents fly. He always looks me square in the eye before he does just so I know he's trying to yank my chain. :rolleyes:

ragingbull83
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
My 4 year old PYR did the same thing but he took his dish of water and dumped it in the food.

I switched the food no problems anymore there. Then on the water I went to Pets Mart got a non TIP over Dish and Started taking the water and sticking it the Fridge over night before i serve it to him he drinks that cold water like its going out of style no more problems.
Ive learned since the Great Pyr are so smart they cant talk to you in English

So they do stuff like that to try and send you a message in my opion .

Hopefully that helps you guys i feel your Fustration sometimes these Great Pyr are very high maintaince dogs it seems just the other day I took him to work with me and he turned down a Burger what dog does that defentley tells me a lot about their wit. My Golden would just wolf something like that down not my great PYR ;)

Erika
02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Living with 3 newfies and 2 Pyrs i gave up on the digging and spilling the water bowl...we stick a big thick towel under it and proceed as necessary...lol
:eek:

FLTammiee
04-12-2009, 07:59 AM
The only digging mine does is in the bath tub!! She LOVES water and asks for daily baths (she doesn't get it).

When her water bowl is empty she will put one paw in it and scoot it around the kitchen floor until someone comes to re fill it.

2ndPyr
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Sebastian's water dish is a dish only a mother could love. After a few drinks it becomes 99% slobber and 1% water!
So when he wants it fresh, he'll stick his paw in the water......it's just crazy!

Cheech
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
The only digging mine does is in the bath tub!! She LOVES water and asks for daily baths (she doesn't get it).

When her water bowl is empty she will put one paw in it and scoot it around the kitchen floor until someone comes to re fill it.
My girl does the same thing, with the food and water dish, she will take that big paw of her's and flip them upside down when she wants more water or his hungary. I have 2 big stainless dish and they make quite a noise when they hit the ground. These dogs are soooooo smart. :)

2ndPyr
04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
We had to go out and buy a very heavy ceramic water dish for Sebastian as he was taking the too light one and dumping it all over the floor. :eek:

FLTammiee
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I took the advice of phoenixgirl *laughs* and put a large handful of ice in Myas dish and OMG!! That will NEVER hapen again!! She went C R A Z Y! and MY kitchen turned into a slip n slide!! (She loved it, I hated it) She tore every chunk of ice out and tossed them around the kitchen...spilling the water dish while doing this and then started acting all crazy running circles around my table sliding into everyyyyyyything!!

Now she hears us digging in the ice bag in the freezer and she comes running and sits there and waits for her one little chunk of ice that she'll drag off onto my carpet and enjoy!!

I find it amazing how these dogs are all different, yet a lot the same in their traits. I'll NEVER own another breed!!

2ndPyr
04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh! Ice is the cheap treat here! Sebastian loves it so much that we take a smaller food dish (that belonged to our late 19 yo, Samoyed mix) and fill it with ice. Sabby lays on the floor, bowl between those long legs and chomps away happy as can be.

They're such funny dogs.

2PyrsInPanhandle
04-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I use a large steel oval bucket (or tub) with handles on the side, from the hardware store. So they do most of their drinking outside. I just fill it up at the outside faucet. It does get a little heavy, but I like giving them a lot so that the slobber doesn't become most of the contents! I try to dump and refill it daily, and we also have a regular metal bowl in the house they can use.

Different topic: Pyrs, water and heat:
I'm sure it's not generally a problem, but I wanted to mention that I heard it's best not to use ice when the weather/Pyr is very hot (like when they've been outside and active in the summer). I suppose it could be a shock to their system or something. Just normal cold tap water gives them what they need. And a small plastic pool to put their feet in seems helpful as well. Just wipe their feet if muddy before they come inside, and don't leave the pool empty - they might play and put holes in it!

ragingbull83
04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Mine does it when the water is not cold enough or pure enough there a very picky breed. Had a few times when mine took the gasket off his non tip over water bowl and tipped it over could be that your pyr is getting to hot and trying to get cool. ;)

Kristta
05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
ours doesnt dig but flip the bowl over when its empty or keep kicking it accross the room and give me that stare look like I would never feed him.

DPW
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Ours flips his water tub over if I don't let him out of the barn early enough in the morning. If his goats head out to pasture without him I can be sure the water tub will have been emptied.