PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

mom2casey
03-02-2008, 06:00 AM
My 6 year old pyr Casey-Jones is not able to jump into my new SUV, so I bought a dog ramp....needless to say, Casey wants no part of it. He is generally well behaved and listens pretty well, but i have not been able to even get him to attempt it, just lays down and wiil not move!! Any suggestions? Thanks...

vin63
03-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Have you tried showing him his favorite treat then placing it in the vehicle just far enough that he has to jump in? Our female Pyr wouldn't jump in until she saw our other dogs jump in while I was attemping the treat trick. I think in our case it was the potential of losing the treat to one of the other dogs that got her motivated. Now, it's her mission to beat the other dogs into the vehicle just in case there's a treat in there somewhere.

risestar
03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you have lost a little ground as alpha. When mine used to do that as pups, I would not take no for an answer and just pulled on the collar until they gave in. Either that, or turn it into a game like vin63 mentioned. Mine will jump into the back of the pickup no problem because they know they will get to go for a trip and a walk, 2 of their more favorite pastimes.

fluffylove
03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
If you are 'alpha' the dog will do anything for you and listen and respect you. Obtaining this position is both important but difficult. It comes with time and knowledge, addressing issues your pyr has and dealing with it appropriately. These dogs respond very well to body language and voice tones. you must get your dogs respect inside the house and then outside. If you are not the boss inside, forget the outside world. Everything from barking at the door, to following, staring etc are signs he owns the house, not you...achieve the balance and harmony inside the outside, like the car comes naturally.

GrendsLori
12-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Does he get carsick? Maybe not throwing up, but drooling, panting and the like? Try some Dramamine. will make him sleepy, but will teach him that car rides don't make you nauseous. Maybe he has trouble keeping his balance while the car is moving? A crate will probably work to make him feel safe.

Is he having trouble with the dog ramp? maybe it is not a solid surface and moves under his weight?

Are his hips/joints ok? Could it be painful for him to jump that high???

ragingbull83
12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I have to say that I disagree with some of that believe that Pyr are scared of the car just like the house vac.

When my boy did that I Picked all 100 plus pounds of him and sat him down in the seat and after we went for a ride and he got loved and saw new places now he jumps up in the seat just got to get him in there a few times and get the dog relaxed thats a new deal to them and its scary getting tossed around when you hit the brakes.

But its my experience that once they get used to it they would rather ride in the Truck or car and be with you then being stuck in the house.

Then again most of you are breeders maybe i dont know nothing but its been my experience that this is what is goen on.