PDA

View Full Version : New Male Puppy-Potty Training Issues

alicia080979
01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi, I am new here and my husband and I just got a male puppy 3 weeks ago. Palmer is about 3 1/2 months old right now and as soon as we got him, we immediately started the crate training process. He does okay in the crate while we are at work but if he knows we are in the house and I put him in it for a short period (like for me to cook dinner) he barks non-stop but he doesn't have any accidents in it. Once we are home for the evening, we usually leave him out of the crate as much as possible but now I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do.

We take him out early in the morning to use the bathroom, at lunch, and as soon as we get home without any problems but for the past couple of days, I will take him out during the evening to "potty" and he will go but then come back in the house and about 20 min later pee on the floor. I know that he knows the word "potty" and knows that he is supposed to go outside but I don't know what to do about this. Am I doing something wrong as far as potty training goes? Is he just repeatedly marking his territory? Are you supposed to leave them in the crate pretty much all the time aside from play/potty time?

TIA!

risestar
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
In your pup's mind, he is learning that when he goes outside he is to do his business, however you are only half way there because he has not yet learned that that is the only place that he is allowed to do his business.

When in the crate, as soon as you are ready to let him out, take him immediately outside and let him eliminate, praising him when he does it in short order. Some people have success in turning it into a game, by taking them for a walk, and allowing them to do their business and reinforcing a command word like "walk" or "pee". Once the dog learns it, and you use it, you will have his attention because he knows he will get to do both. By doing this, he will not only learn when it is time, but also when it is NOT time because he will wait until he hears the command.

In the meantime, for the in house accidents, it is critical that as soon as an accident occurs, you correct him with a stern "NO!" immediately followed by taking him outside to finish the pee, praising him when he does it outside. Then take him back in immediately.

fluffylove
01-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Risestar is right, you're almost there...
When puppies have to go, they need to go NOW. Do not ever schold him for he will only learn that at that moment, he got caught and will find a secret spot to pee in and you will find out days later, saying 'aw, waht's that awful smell!"
Remember, they need to go first thing in the mroning, last thing at night, after exuberant play, after you have been gone a while, after eating or drinking. Also, do NOT let him have the run of the house unless you are watching him like a todler. I know it's hard, I've been there.
ALso, clean the mess up with a good cleaner because he may be tempted to go there again.

Barking, DO NOT give into his barking. Him barking is him controlling you. Ignore him, do not give into him. He will learn eventually. Also, do not pay any attention to him for 10 minutes before you leave, and for a few minutes after you get home. OTherwise he will think he's running the 'pack' and will 'worry' when you are gone leading to...... separation anxiety.

Bringing back those puppy memories, how sweet and adorable, and oh, how much work!!!! GOOD LUCK!

kcoruol
07-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Put a bell on your doorknob. When he rings it, take him outside to potty immediately. If he pees at the door I would not even scold him for that just take him out. If he's making it to the door to pee then he's associating the outside to potty. In fact in my opinion I never scold the dog peeing in the house as puppies. Pyrs are super sensitive, scolding will just hurt their feelings. My pyrs are such babies if I ever raised my voice at them they'd probably die.

good luck

Alexis1905
07-14-2008, 02:08 PM
The bell thing works great!! It's been such a life saver at our house.. Leia just rings the bell with her nose or hits it with her paw..works like a charm!

fluffylove
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Just be careful because she may figure out that all she has to do is ring the bell and you come running, so anytime she wants affection, a toy, attention or to test you, she'll ring it...she may not, but mine did. He would sit at the door until we came there, then we would open the door, he would look at us " uh huh, got you still trained eh!" then he would walk away.