PDA

View Full Version : Agressive behavior

ravengotu
12-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Our Pyr is a 15 month old rescue, and seems to be very agressive with the other
dogs in the neighborhood.
We purchased a basic electronic trainer to see if this will work.
Has anyone used or knew someone who has used it with any good results

Cheers[URL=http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/ravengotu/pond237.jpg

risestar
12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
you may have some results, however the dog aggression is a normal trait for Pyr's, although with a lot of good socialization you can minimize it. Regular walks around the areas where the other dogs in the neighborhood are will help them get used to them and eventually they will no longer react to the local dogs much, but still will towards other out of area dogs.

Some have had results with socialization around other dogs and people on leash and having the dog put in a sit stay when another dog approaches and yours assumes a aggressive posture. Eventually, they dag may try to ignore them unless they are also aggressive

twenty paws
12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I agree with risestar on the socialization. But like I said in my other post an electronic trainer is not a good choice for this breed.

By the way, he is GORGEOUS, what is his name? :)

fluffylove
12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
What a beautiful dog!!! Careful, those looks will melt you and control you in ways you NEVER thought possible!!

I would NEVER use an E collar on these dogs. They are mostly used for hunting breeds to train them. Pyrs are FAR too stubborn for this. Yours is entering adolesence, PATIENCE, consistency and firmness will win him. Ours is almost 2.5 and he's still in the adolesence...I don't think males ever grow up. Pyrs are NOT like other breeds!!!!

When you socialize, make sure YOU are the boss and not letting him get away with stuff, correct him when he's out of line etc. We socialized and did EVERYTHING right with out dog. Problem was he's a dominant/alpha male (which some people don't believe in, but all you have to do is be around him for two minutes and you see he's different). My dog, socialized thoroughly attacked his first dog at 6 months of age! A four month newfie puppy. My dog is not afraid of anything, trucks, noise, dogs, people, tractors, nothing. Watch his body language...pyrs tend to be quite dominant. You may be stuck with one like mine and they are a handful, and trainers have no idea what to do with them! We finally found an organization that understands them and we now do obedience work and are titling him on as much as possible.

Watch his body language around dogs, does his head lower, does he stare them down, stalking like? Is he ok with females? Does he carry his tail really high and curled tightly? Does he set other dogs off? Does he go after puppies?

Jana

ravengotu
12-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all of your help...
His name is Cooper....By the way, and Copper say's Hi....we really adore him, as he is full of life now.
As for the e collar, it is working very nicely. he has become very obedient without much use of it.
He still barks but not to the point where it gets annoying and listens.

Cheers

P.S. Show us some pics of your Pyr's please

:D