PDA

View Full Version : Does your Pyr stay inside

ravengotu
11-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I am new to the forum, and want to say hi to all....

I adopted a Pyr that is supposed to be around 12-16 months old.
I was wondering how many people keep them indoors, and does yours bark at dogs like mine does?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I also bought a few books and some training video, but have yet to get this sorted out.

Thanks

Katie B.
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Hi -

My 18 month old male pyr is an inside dog. He just spent his first night with free reign of the house and was a perfect gentleman! I found he barks more when he is downstair in the crate, while we are upstairs. He craves attention and the more he can be with his people family the happier he is! I believe when he is in his crate he can also watch outside and barks at any little disturbance as where we live we have a lot of cyotes, deer, fox and other wild animals.

Katie

twenty paws
11-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Hi! My Pyrs are house dogs, and yes, they do bark. It's in their nature, this is how they keep watch over their "flock", which for a pet pyr is YOU. :) It's kind of futile to try and train this out of them, but since mine are house dogs what I do is call them back in the house if they get to be too much in the yard. But the barking is something you will have to live with. After many years I can get my female to sound one bark in the house and tell her to settle down. This takes a lot of practice.
Good Luck!

NapaPyr
11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
My pyr stays inside during the day while I'm at work. This is mostly due to cranky neighbor who is unstable and freaks out if she barks too much for his liking. Pyrs are known for barking (the #2 reason they end up on rescue, #1 is roaming). When we're home & she's outside and starts to bark, I just call her in for a time out. She'd much prefer to be outside, so she minds herself for a little while until something else comes into her orbit that warrants barking!!

fluffylove
11-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Mine's a barker. We are in a townhouse with many trees around...trees = squirells and birds = barking pyr!!!

We never keep him out at night, he sleeps inside. They will bark, I know mine isn't an exception.

Some people debark them, but what's the point in owning a pyr...they warn when they bark (unless they are just lonely or trying to get to you!)
:o)

turtleman
03-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Mine stays inside all day all night. Unless we are with her outside in the backyard. She does great all day with out barking but if we are home and she cant see us she got nuts with barking and whining and trying to find us. She is a good gaurd pup she needs to know where we are whenever we are at home and thats why if shes out side we are too lol. But when we leave for work she is fine. And when we are at home during the day she doesnt bark much but at night time she is on look out and barks a ton. But we have got used to it and knew what we were in for so its alright. You just gotta remeber those pups love to bark. Heck when we first got her we tried to kennel train her in a different room she barked almost 4 nights straight until we finally moved her into our bedroom. Now that she is older she is fine anywhere but man oh man can they bark if they want lol.

vin63
03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Yep, our dogs are inside 90% of the time. The male is the only who rumbles or barks if there are audible dog barks outside. The female only barks if someone approaches the front door. Our Yellow Lab sleeps through everything.